Halloween Rice Krispie Treats: Perfect for Parties and Trick-or-Treaters
Make these Halloween Rice Krispie Treats and you’ll be the hero at your kids’ Halloween party. Better yet, let the kids help you. Their hands will get sticky when they the orange-tinted marshmallow mixture with the rice cereal but they won’t mind. They’ll get to lick their fingers.
Once you press the mixture into the pan and score the bars, the kids can add chocolate chips for the jack-o-lantern’s eyes and mouth, too.
Total disclosure: to make this RKT variation, I doubled up the usual krispie rice treat recipe with a tweak or two so that these treats are thicker than the original. That and scoring the pumpkin faces big enough means jumbo krispie rice treats – just 15 treats to a 13 x 9 pan. You can cut yours smaller if you like, but the rice cereal creates bumps you need to work around when you add the chocolate chips.
They’re not just for kids. I made these for my 84-year-old mother-in-law and she loved them too!
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Setting and decorating time: 15-30 minutes
Makes about 15 bars
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
Two 10-ounce bag large marshmallows (how to keep them fresh)
10 cups crisp rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies®)
Orange food coloring (or red and yellow food coloring in a 1-4 ratio)
Directions for Halloween Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with foil, allowing the ends of the foil to drape over the ends of the pan. Spray the foil lightly with cooking spray.
- Set butter and marshmallows in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the oven and stir. Return bowl to the oven. Microwave in 30-second increments, removing the bowl and stirring the marshmallow mixture each time until it is smooth.
- While marshmallow mixture is cooking in the microwave, measure rice cereal into a mixing bowl.
- When the marshmallow mixture is smooth, add food coloring to your desired shade. (More tips for using food coloring.)
- Pour the marshmallow into the rice cereal. Spray your hands with vegetable spray and use your hands to combine the mixture and cereal until the cereal is coated. With a spatula or wet fingers, press cereal mixture in the prepared baking pan.
- Allow cookies to sit for 30 minutes to set. You can place the pan in the refrigerator 15-30 minutes or longer to speed up the process.
- Score the bars into 3 rows by 5 rows to make 15 rectangles (or any size you prefer.) Then press chocolate chips onto each one to make the jack-o-lantern’s eyes and mouth.
- Store Halloween Rice Krispie Treats in an airtight container with waxed paper in between layers.
Special Baking Tips for Halloween Rice Krispies Treats
For best results, use fresh marshmallows. Older marshmallows make a stickier mixture, even when melted.
You can make the orange shade more intense when you use gel food coloring and a lighter shade when you use liquid food coloring. (More about types of food coloring.)
Wrap the treats individually in plastic wrap for bake sales, care packages, and gift baskets.
More Easy Halloween Cookie Recipes and Tips
Tips for Making Halloween Cookie Recipes ...
Halloween Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treat recipe ...
Halloween Magic Bar Cookies: easy layer bar that says BOO!
Halloween Sugar Cookies: Just 8 ingredients from scratch ...
Halloween Cookie Pizza: top it with your extra Halloween candy ...
Halloween Thumbprint Cookies: easy, fun, and gluten-free ...
More Halloween Cookie Recipes on our Pinterest board ...
Return from Halloween Rice Krispie Treats to The Cookie Elf home