Cranberry Almond Biscotti: Low-Carb,Low Fat Italian Cookie Recipe
Cranberry Almond Biscotti incorporate dried cranberries and
sugar substitute in a fresh version of these traditionally almond-flavored
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes, divided
Makes about 30-32 cookies
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons molasses
¾ teaspoon almond flavoring
Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 cup sugar
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup sliced or slivered almonds
½ cup dried cranberries
1 ounce chopped white candy coating
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda,
cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed, beat
together eggs, egg whites, molasses, and almond flavoring, scraping the bowl
constantly. Mix in sugar substitute.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients into egg mixture, beating
just until well blended. Dough will be thick and sticky.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead in almonds and
cranberries. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion of dough into a 12-inch
by 3-inch loaves. Set both loaves on the prepared baking sheet, side by side.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until loaves are just set or light
golden around the edges. Remove baking sheet from the oven. Allow loaves to
cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer loaves to a cutting board. Use a serrated knife to
cut each loaf into 15-16 slices. Re-coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Place
slices cut side down on baking sheet. Bake for 2-30 minutes until firm, turning
once with a spatula. Remove baking sheet from the oven. Allow biscotti to sit
for 5 minutes before using a spatula to transfer them to a wire rack. Cool
- Place candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the
candy. Stir it until smooth. Drizzle melted candy over biscotti. Allow melted
candy to cool and harden.
- Store biscotti in an airtight container with waxed paper in
A Special Baking Tip
from The Elf
Cranberry Almond Biscotti can keep well for up to 3 months
when stored in an airtight container.
The Elf recommends these other Italian cookie recipes
Italian Cookie Recipes: crown jewels in Italian confections ...
Cherry Biscotti: a fresh version of a traditional Italian cookie recipe ...
Pignoli (Pine Nut Cookies): traditional Italian cookie recipe ...
Return from Cranberry Almond Biscotti to The Cookie Elf home