Blonde Brownies Recipe:
Classic Brownies Variation
This Blonde Brownies Recipe is a variation of traditional
chocolate brownies, but has become a classic in its own right.
Both blondies and brownies are cake-like bar cookies, which
are cut into individual pieces and are eaten with your fingers.
Yet while brownies call upon cocoa or melted chocolate for
flavoring – and a corresponding dark coloring – blondies are flavored with
brown sugar and vanilla, tinted in a matching golden brown. The result is a
rich cookie with a dense texture.
Plus, they are simple. The bars call for just 7 ingredients
– 8 if you sprinkle toppings on the surface.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 25-30 minutes
Makes 3 – 3 ½ dozen bars
2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, walnuts, or pecans for
Directions for Blonde Brownies Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with parchment
paper or aluminum foil, allowing ends to extend over two sides of the pan. Coat
the liner lightly with vegetable spray.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Allow it
to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- Pour the melted butter into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add
brown sugar. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, combine the melted
butter. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing until the dough is well blended.
- Blend in dry ingredients gradually. Stir in 1 cup of nuts.
The dough will be thick.
- Spread mixture evenly onto bottom of the prepared baking
pan. Sprinkle the surface with 1 cup chocolate chips or nuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. The surface of the blondies will
darken, thanks to the brown sugar. Do not over bake. Remove the pan from the
oven. Cover the cookies with a piece of aluminum foil, stretched across the pan
and crimped around edges tightly, which will help the bars to stay moist. Use a
sharp knife to poke 8-12 tiny holes in the surface of the foil for venting. Allow
the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove the foil cover. Grasp ends of pan liner and lift the blonde
brownies from the pan. Peel away the foil or parchment paper. Use a sharp knife
to cut the blondies in seven rows of five (or in any other size you wish.)
- Store bars loosely covered at room temperature or in the
Special Baking Tips for
this Blonde Brownies Recipe
- This Blonde Brownies Recipe has a dense texture that allows the
individually-cut bars to be eaten as finger food. The dough is thick and rich. Be
sure to press the cookie dough evenly into the pan to ensure uniform baking.
- You can omit the extra chips or nuts on cookie surface, if
- To help cut bars cleanly, set the cooled pan in the
refrigerator for one hour. Then cut bars according to the above instructions.
See more brownies and blondies on our Pinterest board.
More Blondie Recipes from The Cookie Elf
Butterscotch Brownies: simple Blondies from scratch ...
Congo Bars: a popular blonde brownie variation ....
Disappearing Marshmallow Brownies: a blonde brownies variation ...
Nutella Peanut Butter Brownies: Easy Blondie and Brownie in One Recipe ...
Pecan Praline Blondies: rich, buttery bar cookie with just 7 ingredients ...
White and Dark Chocolate Chip Blondies: a brownie variation ...
Return from Blonde Brownie Recipe to The Cookie Elf home