Chocolate Chip Shortbread Recipe: a Shortbread Variation
This Chocolate Chip Shortbread recipe combines the rich, buttery texture
of classic shortbread with delicious, semisweet chocolate. The chips provide an added touch of sweetness
to the classic shortbread ingredient ratio: traditional three key ingredients: one
part sugar, two parts butter, and three parts white flour.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 35-40 minutes
Cooling time: 15 minutes
Makes about 5 - 6 dozen slices of shortbread, ½ inch x 1
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Directions for this Chocolate Chip Shortbread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour and cornstarch.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed,
cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl continually,
about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low. Gradually stir flour mixture into
creamed mixture a bit at a time until well blended, scraping the bowl
constantly, until well mixed. Dough will be crumbly.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in miniature chocolate chips by
- With floured hands, press dough into an ungreased 13 x 9
baking pan. Prick the cookie surface with a fork.
- Bake cookies for 35-40 minutes just until the edges begin to
brown. If the surface browns too quickly, cover the pan with aluminum foil
during the last 10-15 minutes of baking.
- Remove baking pan from the oven. Cool cookies in a pan for
- Use a sharp knife to slice cookies into thin bars, ¾ inch by
1 ½ inches.
- Let shortbread cool completely. Use a spatula to remove bars
from the pan.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
A Special Baking Tip from
Resist the temptation to use regular-sized semisweet
chocolate chips in this Chocolate Chip Shortbread recipe. Tiny miniature chocolate chips
distribute well throughout the dough so that they don’t alter the cookie
texture yet are small enough to provide a bit of chocolate in every bite.
The Elf Recommends These Yummy Shortbread Recipes
Almond Shortbread: rich wedges flavored with almonds ...
Almond Shortbread Bars ...
Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread recipe ...
Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread: just 7 ingredients ...
Cherry Shortbread Recipe: colorful and easy shortbread variatio
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies recipe: easy shortbread recipe ...
Classic Shortbread recipe ...
Danish Butter Crunch Cookies ...
Fairy Bites: Shortbread Cookies in miniature ...
Fruitcake Shortbread: Easy Fruited Christmas Shortbread Cookie Recipe ...
Irish Shortbread Cookies: an easy Irish Tea Cookies variation ...
Maple Toffee Shortbread recipe ...
Millionaire Shortbread Recipe: Rich Without Breaking the Bank ...
Pecan Caramel Shortbread ...
Shortbread: A Rich Cookie With a Rich History ...
Return from Chocolate Chip Shortbread to The Cookie Elf home