Danish Butter Crunch Cookies
A cross between bar cookies and shortbread, Danish Butter
Crunch cookies have a shortbread-type crust, layered with nuts on top.
Prep time: 20-25 minutes
Bake time: 45-55 minutes
Makes about 4-6 dozen bars, depending on how you cut them
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 1 ½ cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 275º F. Grease and flour a 15 x 11 jelly
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed,
cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl continually.
- Separate egg, pouring the egg white in a separate, clean
bowl. Add egg yolk and vanilla to creamed mixture. Blend completely.
- Gradually stir flour into creamed mixture a bit at a time
until well blended, scraping the bowl constantly, just until dough begins to
pull away from the sides of the bowl and no flour visibly remains.
- With floured hands, press dough into prepared pan. Dough
will be thick. Use the heels of your hands to spread mounds evenly.
- With clean beaters in the electric mixture, beat egg white
until it is frothy. Use a pastry brush to spread it over the top of the
cookies. Long strokes with the pastry brush and egg white softens the dough,
smoothing and evening out the top of the crust even further.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over entire crust. Press them down
- Bake cookies for 45-55 minutes just until the edges begin to
- Remove cookie sheets from the oven. Use a sharp knife to
score cookies into 1 ½ inch squares. Cut diagonals across squares to make
triangles. Cool cookies completely.
- Remove cookies from the pan with a spatula. Store cookies in
an airtight container.
A Special Tip from
Chop the nuts as finely as possible so they will adhere
easily to the egg white coating on the surface of the Danish Butter Crunch
cookies. Try using a steel blade in your food processor to pulverize them.
The Elf Recommends these Yummy Shortbread Recipes
Almond Shortbread: rich wedges flavored with almonds ...
Almond Shortbread Bars ...
Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread recipe ...
Cherry Chocolate Chip Shortbread: just 7 ingredients ...
Cherry Shortbread Recipe: colorful and easy shortbread variation...
Chocolate Chip Shortbread recipe ...
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies recipe: easy shortbread recipe ...
Classic Shortbread recipe ...
Fairy Bites: Shortbread Cookies in miniature ...
Fruitcake Shortbread: Easy Fruited Christmas Shortbread Cookie Recipe ...
Ginger Shortbread Cookies: Ginger Bread variation ..
Irish Shortbread Cookies: an easy Irish Tea Cookies variation ...
Maple Toffee Shortbread recipe ...
Pecan Caramel Shortbread ...
Shortbread: A rich cookie with a rich history ...
Return from Danish Butter Crunch Cookies to The Cookie Elf home