Molasses Drop Cookies: Softer Variation of the Traditional Version
Molasses Drop Cookies are more a molded cookie than a drop cookie.
The cookie dough is rolled into a ball, flattened with a drinking glass, and sprinkled with decorator sugar before baking.
But the real tweak to the traditional Molasses Cookies recipe is the grated orange peel, which adds a fruity flavor to the cookies.
And ... the proportions in this recipe and the additional milk also mean these cookies are soft – not crisp, like traditional ginger cookies or ginger snaps.
If you prefer a crispier texture, bake these cookies 2-3 minutes longer than the recipe calls for.
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
Makes about 5 dozen cookies
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup grated orange peel
¼ cup milk
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon each ground ginger and ground cloves
1 cup decorator sugar or coarse sugar
Directions for Molasses Drop Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together melted butter, brown sugar, and molasses until well blended. Beat in egg and orange peel.
- Gradually mix the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with milk, until all ingredients are added and cookie dough is well blended.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Arrange balls on prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Press each ball lightly with the bottom of a drinking glass. Sprinkle each cookie with decorator sugar or coarse sugar.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet a few minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
Special Baking Tips for Molasses Drop Cookies
Use a cookie scoop to measure evenly-sized cookies.
Bake cookies an additional 2-3 minutes to make crispier cookies.
Get more inspiration on our Drop Cookies Pinterest board.
More Easy Cookie Recipes Like This One
Apple Walnut Drop Cookies recipe: use just 1 apple for whole recipe!
Fruit Bars: Rolled Cookies with all kinds of fruit and spices ...
Ginger Bread Cookies: a Rolled Cookie Favorite ...
Maple Oat Chewies: Drop Cookie Recipe and Bake-Off Recipe Favorite ...
Molasses Cookies: An American Tradition ...
Return from Molasses Drop Cookies to The Cookie Elf home