Fruit Bars: Rolled Bar Cookies
Fruit Bars are filled with homey spices, dates, and walnuts.
The chilled dough is rolled into logs and sliced into bars when still warm
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 15-18 minutes
Makes about 8-10 dozen sliced cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 cup (8 ounces) chopped dates
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raw or coarse sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and
cloves. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar together
until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until the mixture
- In a small bowl combine dates with dissolved baking soda.
- On a low speed, blend date mixture into creamed butter
mixture. Gradually blend in dry ingredients to creamed mixture, adding a bit at
a time and mixing until smooth. Use a wooden spoon to stir in nuts.
- Cover bowl securely with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator
until firm, 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Divide dough into 10-12 balls. On a lightly floured surface,
roll each ball into a long log, about 10 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.
Set two logs on a prepared baking sheet, about 5 inches apart. Lightly press
along the top of each log to flatten its upper surface. Sprinkle flattened log
surfaces with coarse sugar.
- Bake cookies for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Remove
baking sheets from the oven. Use a sharp knife to cut cookie logs diagonally
into ½ inch – ¾ inch bars. Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on baking sheets
before using a spatula to remove them from the sheet to a cooling rack.
- Allow cookies to cool completely. Store in an airtight
A Special Tip from
If you prefer chewy Fruit Bars, bake for about 15 minutes.
If you like cookies to be crisper, bake up to 18 minutes.
More Yummy Rolled Cookies Recommended by The Elf
Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe: a classic ...
Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe with Royal Frosting ...
Ginger Bread Cookies: a classic ...
How to make rolled cookies - tips and tricks ...
Swedish Almond Cookies: a rolled shortbread biscuit ...
Return From Fruit Bars to The Cookie Elf home