Lemon Bars: Tart and Sweet in One Bar Cookie Recipe
Before you go ...
Get 6 Easy Cookie Recipes from The Cookie Elf
Each one uses six ingredients or less – and you can make each one in 10 minutes or less!
Lemon Bars are an iconic combination of tart and sweet in
one bar cookie.
A shortbread crust, soft filling, and tart lemon make for a
luscious combination. The bars are also attractive. Yellow filling contrasts
stands out against dusted white powdered sugar, making the bars an especially
light treat in the spring or summer or as a contrast on a tray of assorted
Prep time: 20 minutes (total)
Bake time: 35-40 minutes, divided
Makes about 36-45 triangular bars
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) margarine or butter, softened
½ cup powdered sugar
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup lemon juice (fresh or reconstituted)
2 tablespoons flour
2-3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper: turn the pan
upside down, smooth the parchment paper around its contours to fit, flip the
pan over, and set the formed liner inside the pan. Allow the liner to extend a
couple of inches over both ends of the pan as an overhang to use as handles for
when you remove bars.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, combine crust
ingredients in a large bowl until mixture is crumbly. Press crust mixture
evenly into parchment-lined pan. Bake for 20 minutes until crust is set and just begins to turn light brown.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat together filling
ingredients until well blended.
- Pour filling mixture onto hot crust. Spread evenly.
- Return the pan to the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until
filling is set and bars are lightly brown around the edges.
- Remove pan from the oven. Set it on a wire rack to cool
- Use parchment paper overhang to lift cookies out of pan and
place on a cutting board. Press paper edges flat.
- With a sifter or shaker, dust bars with powdered sugar.
- Use a sharp knife, cut bars into large squares, and then
diagonally to create triangular-shaped cookies. With a spatula, lift bars off
paper-lined cutting board and into an airtight container. Place waxed paper in
between layers for storage.
- Store lemon bars in the refrigerator.
Special Baking Tips
from The Elf
- One key to successful Lemon Bars is a firm crust. Check to
make sure the first layer is set before spreading the lemon filling on top to
- Fresh lemon juice, while preferred, can be substituted with
bottled lemon juice.
- If you like extra-flavorful Lemon Bars, increase the amount
of lemon juice and grated lemon peel by a quarter or half, to taste. Add 1-5
minutes extra baking time to make sure the lemon filling sets. The extra
tartness is a surprise but keeps the bars from becoming too sweet.
More Luscious Lemon-Flavored Cookies from The Elf
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies ...
Lemon Wedding Cakes: not just for weddings ...
Chewy Lemon Cookies: just 8 ingredients ...
Return from Lemon Bars to The Cookie Elf home
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.