Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe: The Simple Way to Make Cut Out Cookies
Making cut out cookies cannot get any simpler!
This Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe has just 3 ingredients. You can mix the dough together in just a few minutes.
Another advantage of this recipe is that the cookie dough is soft. That means it is pliable and easy to roll when you make cut outs.
You can decorate the cookies with colored sugar and cookie sprinkles before you bake them.
Or you can bake cookies, allow them to cool, and then decorate them with the Easy Royal Frosting recipe (below).
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 8-10 minutes
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies, depending on size of cookie cutters
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
Easy Royal Icing (directions below or here)
Colored sugar and sprinkles (optional)
Directions for this Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe
- In a medium bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, a bit at a time, until well blended. Add flour to butter mixture gradually. Beat until well blended.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap both halves in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Set one half of the cookie dough on a cutting board surface. Cover the dough with a piece of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until ¼ inch thick.
- Cut cookies with cookie cutters. With a spatula, remove cookies from the rolling surface and place them on the prepared baking sheets 1 inch apart. Rework unused scraps together to form a new ball, roll out, and cut more cookies until all dough is cut into cookies.
- Sprinkle cookies with colored sugar crystals or decorations (if you are not planning to frost them.)
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool cookies for 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove from cookie sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost undecorated cookies with Easy Royal Icing and decorate with colored sugar or sprinkles. (More tips for making royal icing here.)
- Store cookies in an airtight container with waxed paper in between layers.
Easy Royal Frosting
3 tablespoons (1/4 cup) meringue powder
1 pound (4 cups) powdered sugar
6 tablespoons (1/2 cup) warm water
Place ingredients in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer on low speed to beat ingredients together until peaks form, about 5 minutes. Get more tips for making and using Royal Frosting here.
Special Baking Tips for this Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe
Use plastic wrap as a buffer between the cookie dough and rolling pin while rolling out the dough. The dough will roll smoothly. You’ll also eliminate the need to flour the rolling surface and the rolling pin. Less flour means the cookies will not be as hard or tough, but rather have a softer, more buttery texture.
Get best baking results when cookies of similar size are placed together on a single baking sheet and baked together. This way, cookies will bake evenly.
More Easy Rolled Cookies Recipes
Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe: a classic ...
How to Make Christmas Cookie Icing (AKA Royal Icing) ...
Ginger Bread Cookies: a classic ...
Easy Mexican Shortbread Cookies: Just 6 Ingredients ...
Fruit Bars: a cross between a rolled cookie and a bar cookie ...
Red Velvet Sugar Cookies: easy sugar cookie recipe ...
Swedish Almond Cookies: a rolled shortbread biscuit ...
Return from Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe to The Cookie Elf home