Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe
The Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe is a classic, one that
represents the tradition of baking cookies at Christmas time. These cookies are
best when made with butter, rather than margarine. Use this recipe to build
memories when baking homemade cookies.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 8-10 minutes
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies, depending on size of cookie cutters
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
Dash of salt
Colored sugar crystals
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer
until pale and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, a bit at a time, until well
blended. Mix in egg and vanilla. Beat until mixture is smooth.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture gradually. Beat until
- Divide dough in half. Wrap both halves in plastic wrap.
Chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out dough, one half at a time, on
a lightly floured surface until ¼ inch thick.
- Cut cookies with cookie cutters. With a spatula, remove
cookies from the rolling surface and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, 1
inch apart. Sprinkle cookies with colored sugar crystals.
- Rework unused scraps together to form a new ball, roll out,
and cut more cookies until all dough is cut into cookies.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly
- Cool cookies for 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove from
cookie sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
A Special Baking Tip
from The Elf
This Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe will give you best
results when cookies of similar size are placed together on a single baking
sheet and baked together. This way, cookies will bake evenly. You can use
cookie cutters of different sizes if you’d like your batch of cookies to be
varied. Simply place small cookies, medium-sized cookies, and large cookies on
separate baking sheets and bake for an appropriate time.
More Sugar Cookie Recipes from The Cookie Elf
Cranberry Sugar Cookies: Just 3 Ingredients ...
Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe with Royal Frosting ...
Funfetti Sugar Cookies: Easy Cookie Recipe ...
Easy Mexican Shortbread Cookies: Just 6 Ingredients ...
Red Velvet Sugar Cookies: easy sugar cookie recipe ...
More Yummy Rolled Cookie Recipes from The Cookie Elf
Fruit Bars: a cross between a rolled cookie and a bar cookie ...
Ginger Bread Cookies: a classic ...
Swedish Almond Cookies: a rolled shortbread biscuit ...
How to make rolled cookies ...
Return from Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe to The Cookie Elf home