Everything Layer Bar Cookies:
An Easy All-Time Favorite
Everything Layer Bar Cookies are an easy bar cookie recipe – and they are always a favorite.
Much like Magic Bars, you make these cookies in layers.
But this recipe has a twist. You bake the bottom layer first. Once it has set, you remove the baking pan from the oven and add the other layers.
And we all know from the name of the recipe that the toppings include all the good stuff in your baking pantry: chocolate, nuts, and dried fruit.
You can personalize the “everything” to include your favorites. Start with the classic toppings listed here.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes, divided
Makes 24-36 bars
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter or margarine
½ cup powdered sugar
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¾ rolled oats (not quick cooking oats)
1 cup (6-ounce bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
½ cup raisins
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups sweet flaked coconut
Directions for Everything Layer Bar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving an overhand on both ends. Spray the sides of the liner to prevent bars from sticking to the sides of the pan.
- In a food processor, using a steel blade, pulse together butter, powdered sugar, flour, and salt until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add oats and pulse just until the mixture is combined. Press the cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes, until cookie base is firm and lightly browned.
- Remove baking pan from the oven. Layer chocolate chips, chopped nuts, and raisins evenly over the crust. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over bars. Sprinkle coconut on the surface. Bake bars 20 minutes until coconut is golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Grasp ends of the liner and lift bars out of the pan. Set the bars onto a cutting board. Peel away liner. Cut the bars.
- Store bars loosely covered at room temperature.
Special Baking Tips for Everything Layer Bar Cookies
For variety, substitute dried cranberries for raisins.
Set the cooled bars in the refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes before cutting to get crisp edges.
See more easy bar cookie recipes on our Bar Cookies Pinterest board.
More Easy Layer Bar Cookie Recipes from The Elf
7 Layer Bar Cookies: no mixing!
Almond Toffee Bar Cookies: easy "back-of-the-bag" recipe ...
Chocolate Mint Layer Bars: perfect at the holidays ...
Fudge Mint Brownies recipe: bar cookie, brownies, layer cookie - YES!
Lemon Bars: sweet and tart together ...
Magic Bar Cookies: THE classic bar cookie recipe ...
Millionaire Shortbread Recipe: Rich Without Breaking the Bank ...
Chocolate Magic Bar Cookies: chocolate in the lower layer ...
Raisin Bar Cookies: easy bar cookie and comfort food ...
Viennese Walnut Layer Bars: elegant and rich and easy ...
Return from Everything Layer Bar Cookies to The Cookie Elf home