Bar Cookie Recipe: Magic Bars
Magic bars, a chewy one-pan bar cookie, first debuted in the
1960s and have been immensely popular ever since.
The cookies are deemed magical for a few reasons.
is that these bars are so easy to make. Layers of chocolate, nuts, and coconut
are drenched in sweetened condensed milk, stacked directly on a graham cracker
crust. Busy cooks also find clean up magical – the bars require little mixing. Even
the margarine (or butter) for the crust is melted in the baking pan and
combined with the graham cracker crumbs, rather than combined in an extra bowl.
Once baked, the ingredients meld like magic into a delicious treat, tasting
almost like candy.
Equally magical are the variations to this recipe.
Ingredients are easily interchanged in a different order or even replaced (a
different kind of baking chips for chocolate chips, for instance) and yet the
bars continue to live up to their name.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 25-30 minutes
Makes 24-36 bars
½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 large graham
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup (6-ounce bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups sweet flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 ounce cookie decorations (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (325º F for a glass dish).
- Spray the sides of a 13 x 9 baking pan with baking spray.
(This will prevent bars from sticking to the sides of the pan.) Cut margarine
into the pan. Set the pan in the heated oven to melt.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over melted margarine. With a spoon, combine margarine and crumbs until they are well mixed. Use the back of the spoon to press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Layer chocolate chips, coconut, and chopped nuts evenly over crust.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over bars. If desired, sprinkle cookie decorations (like nonpareils) on the surface to fit the holiday or occasion.
- Bake bars 25-30 minutes until lightly browned. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Chill if desired. Cut into bars.
- Store bars loosely covered at room temperature.
A special tip from
Try using salted nuts to balance the sweetness in the
chocolate chips and coconut in Magic Bars.
Choose cookie decorations to fit the occasion, whetherr it's a holiday, school colors, baby colors, bridal colors, or colors of your favorite team.
More Yummy Bar Cookie Recipes
Bar cookies: quick and easy to make ...
7 Layer Bar Cookies: no mixing!
Can't Leave Alone Bars: easy cake mix cookie recipe ...
Cherry Oatmeal Cookies Recipe: Bar Cookies With Just 4 Ingredients ...
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Caramel Squares from Pillsbury Bake-Off #37...
Chocolate Magic Bar Cookies: Have Your Cookies and Eat Your Candy, Too
Chocolate Mint Layer Bars ...
Christmas Cookie Bars: white chocolate, cranberries, coconut ...
Christmas Magic Cookie Bars: an easy Christmas bar cookie ...
Chocolate Toffee Bars: easy, elegant bar cookie recipe ...
Cookie Pizza: fun and easy cookie recipe for any holiday ...
Cranberry Caramel Date Bars: a luscious, rich bar cookie ...
Cranberry Walnut Squares: holiday bar cookie recipe ...
Everything Layer Bar Cookies: chocolate, nuts, dried, fruit ...
Fudge Mint Brownies recipe: bar cookie, brownies, layer cookie - YES!
Halloween Magic Bar Cookies: an easy variation ...
Lemon Bars: tart and sweet in one bar cookie ...
Raisin Bar Cookies: easy filled bar cookie recipe ...
Viennese Walnut Layer Bars: layered mocha and walnuts ...
White Chocolate Key Lime Calypso Bars: from Pillsbury Bake-Off #40 ...
Return from Bar Cookie Recipe: Magic Bars to The Cookie Elf home