Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats: Variation of Easy No-Bake Cookie Recipe
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats are an easy variation the classic
no-bake cookie recipe.
Original Rice Krispies Treats are made with crisp rice
cereal, marshmallows, and melted butter.
This version includes butterscotch
chips – one part melted into the cookie mixture and one part sprinkled on top.
It is an easy cookie recipe is perfect for kids to make. As an added bonus, the
bars are a gluten-free cookie!
You can find butterscotch chips (or butterscotch morsels) in
your grocery’s baking aisle, near the chocolate chips.
(Read Rice Krispie Treat trivia here.)
Prep time: less than 10 minutes
Chilling time: 15-30 minutes
Makes about 24-35 bars, depending upon how you cut them
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 10-ounce bag large marshmallows (about 40)
6 cups crisp rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies®)
1 bag (11 ounces) butterscotch morsels or butterscotch chips,
Directions for Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with foil, allowing the ends of the
foil to drape over the ends of the pan. Spray the foil lightly with cooking
spray. Sprinkle ¾ cup (about half the bag) of butterscotch chips on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Set butter, marshmallows, and remaining butterscotch chips in
a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl
from the oven and stir. Return bowl to the oven. Microwave in 30-second
increments, removing the bowl and stirring the marshmallow mixture each time until
it is smooth.
- While marshmallow mixture is cooking in the microwave,
measure rice cereal into a mixing bowl.
- When the marshmallow mixture is ready, pour it into the rice
cereal. Stir quickly, mixing thoroughly to coat the cereal. With a spatula or
wet fingers, press cereal mixture in the prepared baking pan over top of
- Chill cookies in the refrigerator 15-30 minutes or longer.
- Place a cutting board across the top of the baking pan. Flip
pan over. Peel back the foil. The butterscotch chips will now be on top of the
- Use a long bread knife to cut bars into 2-inch squares (or
any size you desire.)
- Store bars in an airtight container with waxed paper in
Special Baking Tips for
Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats
- You can substitute 10 ounces of miniature marshmallows or 1
jar (7 ounces) of marshmallow crème for regular marshmallows.
- For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
- If you do not wish to use the microwave, you can melt butter
and marshmallows in a large saucepan on the stove top at low heat, stirring continually,
until ingredients are melted and smooth.
- Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats will keep for 2 days at
room temperature, 5 days in the refrigerator, or in the freezer for up to 6
weeks (if they last that long.)
See more Rice Krispie Treats on The Cookie Elf's Rice Krispie Treat Variations Pinterest board.
More About Rice Krispie Treats
13 Baking Tips for Making Rice Krispie Treats ...
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats: classic no-bake cookie recipe ...
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats: classic no-bake cookies with a twist
Oreo Krispie Treats: easy no-bake cookie recipe ...
Peanut Butter Krispie Balls: a Rice Krispie Treats variation ...
Peanut Fandangos: both a no-bake cookie and a gluten-free cookie ...
Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats: fun and easy no-bake cookies ...
Rocky Mountain Snowdrops ...
SMores Rice Krispie Treats: easier than the campfire treat ...
Return from Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats to The Cookie Elf home