Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats: Easy No-Bake Cookie Recipe, with a Twist
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats are an easy variation to the
classic homemade Rice Krispie Treats recipe.
This version includes a twist: miniature chocolate chips
added to both the cereal mixture before it sets and then pressed into the
surface of the cookies.
You can also add a cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
to the mixture. The coconut is optional – but it’s really, really good. It
makes the treats taste like Mounds® candy bars.
It’s an easy cookie recipe you can make with kids. It’s also
gluten-free. You can also read fun Rice Krispie Treats trivia here.
Prep time: less than 10 minutes
Set time: 15-30 minutes
Makes about 20-24 bars
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 10-ounce bag large marshmallows (about 40)
6 cups crisp rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies®)
¾ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 cup unsweetened coconut (optional)
Directions for Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with foil, allowing the ends of the
foil to drape over the ends of the pan. Spray the foil lightly with cooking
- Measure rice cereal and coconut into a mixing bowl. Combine
them together. Set aside
- Measure ½ cup miniature chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Set butter and marshmallows in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the oven and stir. Return
bowl to the oven. Microwave in 30-second increments, removing the bowl and
stirring the marshmallow mixture each time until it is smooth.
- When the marshmallow mixture is ready, pour it into the rice
cereal mixture. Stir quickly, combining thoroughly to coat the cereal. As the
coated cereal cools, the melted marshmallows will begin to look stringy. At
this point, fold ½ cup miniature chocolate chips into the coated cereal.
- With a piece of waxed paper or wet fingers, press the cereal
mixture in the prepared baking pan. Flatten the cereal evenly in the pan.
Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup miniature chocolate chips evenly over the surface.
Press the chips into the cereal.
- Allow cookies to sit for 30 minutes to set. You can place
the pan in the refrigerator 15-30 minutes or longer to speed up the process.
- Lift the foil ends to remove the bars from the pan. Set the
bars on a cutting board. Peel back the
foil. Use a long bread knife to cut the bars into 2-inch squares.
- Store bars in an airtight container with waxed paper in
Special Baking Tips for
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
- You can substitute 10 ounces of miniature marshmallows for
regular marshmallows. For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
- If you do not wish to use the microwave, you can melt butter
and marshmallows in a large saucepan on the stove top at low heat, stirring
continually, until ingredients are melted and smooth.
- Be sure to wait to add the miniature chocolate chips to the
cereal mixture until the melted marshmallows have cooled slightly. If the
marshmallows are too hot, the chocolate chips will melt.
- Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats will keep for 2 days at room
temperature, 5 days in the refrigerator, or in the freezer for up to 6 weeks (if
they last that long.)
Check out The Elf's Rice Krispie Treats Pinterest Board.
More Easy Rice Krispie Treats Recipes and Tips
13 Baking Tips for Making Rice Krispie Treats ...
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats: the classic no-bake cookie recipe ...
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats: easy variation of a classic ...
Oreo Krispie Treats: easy no-bake cookie recipe ...
Peanut Butter Krispie Balls: a Rice Krispie Treats variation ...
Peanut Fandangos: both a no-bake cookie and a gluten-free cookie ...
Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats: fun and easy no-bake cookies ...
Rocky Mountain Snowdrops ...
SMores Rice Krispie Treats: easier than the campfire treat ...
Return from Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats to The Cookie Elf home