Easy Milky Way Brownies
Two Easy Cookie Recipes in One
These Easy Milky Way Brownies are an easy brownies recipe but also like a candy bar cookie recipe, too.
Easy brownies because they’ve got just 4 ingredients and they’re in the oven in about 5 minutes (at least for the first first phase).
But as an easy candy bar cookie recipe, these brownies call for chopped bits of the Milky Way chocolate bar.
The candy bar’s popular American version, developed nearly 100 years ago, is made of chocolate nougat topped with caramel and covered with milk chocolate.
(European versions omit the caramel.)
Prep time: 5 minutes (plus time for chopping candy bars)
Bake time: 30 minutes, divided
Makes 2-3 dozen brownies, depending on how you cut them
1 18-20 ounce package German chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) butter or margarine, melted
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
20 ounces (1 ½ bags) Milky Way miniature candy bars, Milky Way Bites, or any kind of Milky Way candy bars, chopped
Directions for Easy Milky Way Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, allowing ends to extend over two sides of the pan. Coat the liner lightly with vegetable spray.
- In a medium bowl use an electric mixer or a wooden spoon to combine cake mix, melted butter, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Spread half of mixture evenly onto bottom of the prepared baking pan. Dough will be thick. Be sure to cover the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove wrappers from candy bars. Chop candy bars coarsely. Reserve ½ cup.
- Remove brownies from the oven. Sprinkle chopped Milky Ways on the surface of the prebaked brownies. Drop tablespoons of remaining brownie batter over Milky Ways. Sprinkle reserved ½ cup of candy over the top.
- Bake brownies for an additional 18-20 minutes. Do not over bake. Remove the pan from the oven. Cover the brownies with a piece of aluminum foil, stretched across the pan and crimped around edges tightly, which will help the bars to stay moist. Use a sharp knife to poke 8-12 tiny holes in the surface of the foil for venting. Allow the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove the foil cover. Grasp ends of pan liner and lift the bars from the pan. Peel away the foil or parchment paper. Use a sharp knife to cut the brownies in seven rows of five (or in any other size you wish.)
- Store bars with waxed paper between layers, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Special Baking Tips for Easy Milky Way Brownies
You need not smooth the second layer of brownie batter over surface evenly.
If you like to eat these brownies cold, know that when you store the brownies in the refrigerator, the caramel in the Milky Way candies may become quite firm and harder to chew.
See more brownies variation on our Brownies Pinterest board.
More Easy Brownie Recipes Using a Mix
Almond Joy Fudge Brownies recipe: bar cookie version of the candy bar ...
Chocolate-Cherry Bars: a favorite from Pillsbury Bake-Off #25 ...
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies Recipe: just 6 ingredients ...
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies: perfect way to use extra zucchini ...
Cream Cheese Brownie Cookies ...
Marshmallow Swirl Brownies: fudgey, gooey, easy-brownie variation ...
Milky Way Brownies: a simple cookie version of a popular candy bar ...
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Brownies: they're a swirl!
Rocky Road Brownies: easy brownie recipe variation ...
Return from Easy Milky Way Brownies to The Cookie Elf home