Chocolate Coconut Cookies: Not Your Typical Oatmeal Drop Cookies
Chocolate Coconut Cookies: are they chocolate cookies or oatmeal drop cookies?
It's a bit of a surprise, isn't it? You expect an oatmeal cookie to be flavored with cinnamon and raisins and nuts.
But here oatmeal is mixed in, even though you may not notice it, thanks to the rich cookie dough flavored with melted chocolate rolled in shredded coconut.
So different from the typical oatmeal cookie ... yet so good!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Bake time: 9-11 minutes
Makes about 3-4 dozen cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled (here's how to melt chocolate)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oatmeal (more about oatmeal in cookies)
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Extra coconut for rolling cookies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking
soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed,
cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar beating until smooth,
about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30-45 seconds after each
addition, until mixture is creamy.
- Add melted chocolate, beating until mixture is smooth.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture in
two additions, beating just until well blended.
- Add oatmeal and coconut by hand with a wooden spoon. Dough
will be thick.
- Pour extra shredded coconut into a small bowl. Use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop dough in rounded teaspoonfuls (here's some tips for scooping cookie dough), roll balls in shredded coconut, and set onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart Bake for 9-11 minutes until cookies are just set. Remove cookie sheets from the oven.
- Allow cookies to sit for 5 minutes before using a spatula to
transfer them to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
A Special Baking Tip
from The Elf
Chocolate Coconut Cookies can be chewy or crispy, depending
on how long you bake them. For a chewier
cookie, bake on the low side of the suggested time. For a crisper cookie, bake
1-2 minutes longer, on the upper end of the suggested bake time.
Here are some more tips about how to make drop cookies.
See more chocolate drop cookies on our Pinterest board.
More Chocolate Drop Cookies Recommended By The Elf
Best chocolate chip cookies ...
"Black Gold" Chocolate Cookie recipe ...
Chocolate Crinkles: easy cake mix cookie recipe ...
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies: fudgy, rich drop cookie ...
Cream Cheese Brownie Cookies: just 6 ingredients ....
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies ...
Fran's Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies ...
Get the scoop on making drop cookies ...
Hot Chocolate Cookies: Better Than Cocoa ...
Return from Chocolate Coconut Cookies to The Cookie Elf home