Cranberry Walnut Squares:
Holiday Bar Cookie Recipe
Cranberry Walnut Squares combine cranberries, walnuts, and a sweet syrup filling over a cookie crust.
Can you say "better than pie"? Plus they are easier to make because you needn’t roll out a pie crust.
And you can cut them in smaller bites than a slice of pie. That means you can eat more of them.
Seriously ... these bars are a great way to use up fresh cranberries when you have leftovers. But you can use chopped dried cranberries, too. Which means you can make these all year long.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Bake time: 45-55 minutes, divided
Makes 60 squares
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter or margarine, cut into chunks
½ cup granulated sugar
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup corn syrup, light or dark
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen), coarsely chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions for Cranberry Walnut Squares
- Preheat oven to 350º F (325º F for a glass dish). Lightly
grease a 15 x 10 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine
1 cup cold butter, all-purpose flour, ½ cup granulated sugar, and salt. Combine
until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Press the cookie crust mixture evenly into prepared pan.
Bake for 20-23 minutes until golden brown.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together eggs,
corn syrup, remaining granulated sugar, and melted butter until well blended.
Fold in cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour filling over hot cookie crust. Spread evenly. Bake
25-30 minutes until set.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool completely
on a wire rack. Cut bars into 1 ½ -inch squares.
- Place bars in airtight container with waxed paper in between
layers. Serve warm or store in the refrigerator.
Special Baking Tips from
- You can use either dark or light corn syrup when making
Cranberry Walnut Squares.
- Dried, fresh, or frozen cranberries work. Chop cranberries in the food processor using a steel blade to
get a uniform texture.
- Purchase fresh cranberries while they are in season during
the fall and winter. Freeze them to use later on in this recipe.
Get more ideas on our Bar Cookies Pinterest board.
More Scrumptious Bar Cookie Recipes Recommended by The Elf
Almond Toffee Bar Cookies: easy "back-of-the-bag" recipe ...
Can't Leave Alone Bars: easy cake mix cookie recipe ...
Cherry Oatmeal Cookies Recipe: Bar Cookies With Just 4 Ingredients ...
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Caramel Squares from Pillsbury Bake-Off #37...
Chocolate Mint Layer Bars: yummy Christmas bar cookies ...
Christmas Cookie Bars: white chocolate, cranberries, coconut ...
Christmas Magic Cookie Bars: an easy Christmas bar cookie ...
Chocolate Toffee Bars: easy, elegant bar cookie recipe ...
Cookie Pizza: fun and easy cookie recipe for any holiday ...
Cranberry Caramel Date Bars: a luscious, rich bar cookie ...
Lemon Bars: tart and sweet in one bar cookie ...
Magic Bars: a classic bar cookie recipe ...
Oatmeal Fruit Bar Cookies: just use the dried fruit in your pantry ...
Raisin Bar Cookies: easy filled bar cookie recipe ...
Viennese Walnut Layer Bars: layered mocha and walnuts ...
Return from Cranberry Walnut Squares to The Cookie Elf home