Bar Cookie Recipe: Chocolate Toffee Bars
Before you go ...
Get 6 Easy Cookie Recipes from The Cookie Elf
Each one uses six ingredients or less – and you can make each one in 10 minutes or less!
A chocolate lover’s dream, Chocolate Toffee Bars are
deceptively elegant but easy to make. They have three layers: a brownie-like
base, toffee filling, and a chocolate nut topping. The toffee filling is heated
slowly on the stovetop while the brownie layer pre-bakes.
Prep time: 25-30 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes, divided
Makes 24-48 bars, depending on how they are sliced
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 – 1 ½ cups (6-9 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Combine all-purpose flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons butter. In a medium bowl, using medium speed with an electric or hand
mixer, beat remaining butter and powdered sugar until mixture is light and
- Add flour and cocoa gradually. Mix well.
- Use floured hand to press mixture into the prepared baking
pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine reserved butter and
sweetened condensed milk. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla
extract. Pour toffee-like mixture over the baked crust.
- Return the pan to the oven. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or
until top is golden brown.
- Remove pan from the oven. Pour chocolate chips over hot
bars. Let the pan stand one minute. Use a spatula to spread chocolate evenly
over bars. Once you sprinkle the hot, baked cookie surface with chocolate chips
and give them a minute to soften, spread them quickly. If the chocolate has not
completely melted, return the baking pan to the warm oven for 30 seconds. The
heat will warm the chocolate and allow you to spread it smoothly. Sprinkle the
smooth chocolate surface with nuts.
- Allow pan to cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
- Set bars in an airtight container, placing waxed paper in
between layers. Store bars in the refrigerator so that chocolate does not melt.
Special Baking Tips
from The Elf
- As you make the first layer of the Chocolate Toffee Bars, be
sure to press the crust evenly into the pan to ensure uniform baking.
- The recipe can be even richer if you use high-quality cocoa
powder, butter, and gourmet chocolate chips.
The Elf Recommends More Bar Cookie Recipes
Bar Cookie Recipe: Magic Bars ...
7 Layer Bar Cookies: no mixing!
Almond Toffee Bar Cookies: easy "back-of-the-bag" recipe ...
Can't Leave Alone Bars: easy cake mix cookie recipe ...
Cherry Oatmeal Cookies Recipe: Bar Cookies With Just 4 Ingredients ...
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Caramel Squares from Pillsbury Bake-Off #37...
Chocolate Mint Layer Bars ...
Christmas Cookie Bars: white chocolate, cranberries, coconut ...
Christmas Magic Cookie Bars: an easy Christmas bar cookie ...
Cranberry Caramel Date Bars: a luscious, rich bar cookie ...
Cranberry Walnut Squares: holiday bar cookie recipe ...
Fudge Mint Brownies recipe: bar cookie, brownies, layer cookie - YES!
Lemon Bars: tart and sweet in one bar cookie ...
Raisin Bar Cookies: easy filled bar cookie recipe ...
Viennese Walnut Layer Bars: layered mocha and walnuts ...
White and Dark Chocolate Chip Blondies: a brownie variation ...
About Bar Cookies: why they are so quick and easy to make ...
Return from Chocolate Toffee Bars to The Cookie Elf home
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.