Frosted Chocolate Brownies: Decadent Brownie Recipe
Chocolate lovers: you cannot find a much richer recipe than Frosted
This decadent chocolate bar concoction has a brownie base
topped with fudgy, dense frosting. The end result is a thick, layered brownie.
Just because they’re baked in a square pan, don’t be fooled
into thinking the recipe won’t yield many cookies. The brownies are so thick
that you may find it best to cut them in 1” by 1” bars.
And they're not complicated, despite what looks like a long set of directions. Just indulgent.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 32-38 minutes, divided
Makes 16 brownies (2” x 2” x 2”) or 64 brownies (1” x 1” x 2”)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
¼ cup milk
2 tablespoons cream
3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Lightly grease a 9 x 9 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking
powder. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt 1 cup butter or
margarine together with 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate. Allow mixture to cool.
- In a separate mixing bowl using a whisk, beat eggs for 1 minute
until well mixed. Add in sugar and whisk for 1 minute until combined. Pour in
chocolate mixture and vanilla. Whisk until batter is smooth. Whisk in dry
ingredients (or use a wooden spoon if mixture gets too thick to whisk), a bit
at a time, mixing until all particles of flour are absorbed into the batter.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread it evenly with an
offset spatula until the surface is smooth.
- Bake for 32-38 minutes or until just set. A toothpick or
tester need not come out clean. Do not over bake.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting so that it is ready as soon as
the brownie layer is baked. In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and salt.
- In a medium saucepan on low heat, melt 1 stick butter or
margarine and 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate. Stir until smooth. Remove the
mixture from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, combine powdered
sugar mixture and chocolate mixture together. Add milk, cream, and vanilla
extract. Beat slowly, scraping sides of bowl continually, until frosting is
creamy and well mixed.
- Remove the brownies from oven. Immediately place large
dollops of frosting on the hot brownie base. Spread the frosting carefully,
using an offset spatula, keeping the brownie layer intact.
- Allow brownies to cool completely on a wire rack, about 3-4
- Use a small, sharp knife to cut brownies into bars. Cut the
cake into four quarters; then cut each quarter into four squares or even 16
wafers, since brownies are quite thick.
- Store Frosted Chocolate Brownies loosely covered at room temperature or in the
Special Baking Tips
from The Elf
- As you prepare Frosted Chocolate Brownies, you may choose to
melt the butter and chocolate for the brownie layer in the microwave, rather
than on the stove top. To do so, set the butter and chocolate in a
microwave-safe dish. Cook for 20-30 seconds on high. Stir the mixture. Repeat
the process until the butter and chocolate have melted and are thoroughly mixed
together. Do not overcook.
- Do not beat the frosting on high speed or it will become
airy and fluffy, rather than creamy and dense.
- Use as deep a pan as possible, preferably 2” or deeper.
The Elf Recommends These Easy to Make Brownie Recipes and Blondie Recipes
All about brownies, America's favorite chocolate bar cookie ...
Almond Joy Fudge Brownies recipe: bar cookie version of the candy bar ...
Butterscotch Brownies: simple Blondies from scratch ...
Chocolate Caramel Brownies: a variation of Turtle Cookies ...
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies Recipe: just 6 ingredients ...
Congo Bars: a popular blonde brownie variation ....
Cream Cheese Brownie Cookies: just 6 ingredients ....
Easy Brownies: simpler than using a mix ...
Marshmallow Swirl Brownies: fudgy, gooey, easy-brownie variation ...
Milky Way Brownies: a simple cookie version of a popular candy bar ...
Nutella Crunch Brownies ...
Nutella Peanut Butter Brownies: Easy Blondie and Brownie in One Recipe ...
One Bowl Brownies: a favorite back-of-the-box recipe ...
Pecan Praline Blondies: rich, buttery bar cookie with just 7 ingredients ...
Rocky Road Brownies: easy brownie recipe variation ...
Super Easy Brownies Recipe: just 3 ingredients. Really! ...
Turtle Brownies Recipe: easy brownie recipe ...
White and Dark Chocolate Chip Blondies: a brownie variation ...
Return from Frosted Chocolate Brownies to The Cookie Elf home