Valentine Brownies: Easy to Make With Heart Cookie Cutters
There are oodles of recipe variations you can follow to make Valentine Brownies. But this is one of my favorites!
It’s easy to make, especially when you use a mix. Stir up a simple icing topping while the brownies are in the oven, spread it on top when the brownies are done, and add some sprinkles.
You can stop there and simply cut the brownies into traditional squares.
But here’s a little secret: cut the brownies with a heart cookie cutter … and you’ll win the hearts of your Valentines.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 24-28 minutes
Cutting time: 30 minutes
Makes about 16-20 brownies, depending on cookie cutter size
1 18-ounce brownie mix (or your favorite brownie recipe) and its ingredients ... most often:
2/3 cup vegetable oil
¼ cup water
¼ cup (4 tablespoons) butter or margarine
¼ cup water
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
Nonpareils, sprinkles, or cookie decorations
Directions for Valentine Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray well with vegetable spray.
- Prepare and bake brownies according to package or recipe directions.
- While brownies are in the oven, prepare the topping. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cocoa powder and powdered sugar, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Cover the pan to keep the topping warm until the brownies are finished baking.
- Remove the brownies from the oven. Drop dollops of the topping on the warm brownie surface. Use an angled spatula to spread the topping evenly across the brownies. Sprinkle nonpareils or decorations over the topping. Allow the brownies to cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool, set the pan in the refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes or more before cutting the brownies.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator. Peel away foil or paper and set the brownie slab on a cutting board. Coat the inside of heart cookie cutters with vegetable spray or shortening so that brownies don’t stick when you cut them. Cut out hearts with the cookie cutters. (Get more tips for how to cut brownies with cookie cutters.)
- Store brownies in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
Special Baking Tips for Valentine Brownies
Use a deep-sided cookie cutter, preferably with sharp edges, in order to cut through thick brownies. Shallow plastic cookie cutters don’t work as well.
You can use different sized heart cookie cutters to make a variety of heart brownies.
Get more tips for cutting brownies with cookie cutters.
Get more idea on our Valentine Cookies Pinterest board.
More Easy Valentine Cookies
Cherry Bon Bon Cookies: a sweet surprise in the middle ...
Cherry Coconut Cookies: colorful, fun drop cookies ...
Cherry Kisses: low-fat meringues that melt in your mouth ...
Crispy Valentine Cookies: two kinds of chocolate, two kinds of cereal ...
Easy Valentine Sugar Cookies ...
Easy Valentine Cookie Wafers: fun, no-bake cookies to make with kids ...
Red Velvet Blossom Cookies: gorgeous!
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies : red dusted with white ...
Red Velvet Chip Cookies: easy with a mix ...
Triple Chocolate Kisses: meringues made with 3 kinds of chocolate ...
Valentine Press Cookies: hearts made from a cookie press ...
Return from Valentine Brownies to The Cookie Elf home